Hello, and welcome to the Guns Forum. We hope you enjoy your stay, and can find whatever you're looking for.

If you're new, then please register below. If not, you can login below.
Hello, and welcome to the Guns Forum. We hope you enjoy your stay, and can find whatever you're looking for.

If you're new, then please register below. If not, you can login below.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inAbout Guns

Ammo prices

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FatalOneManArmy
General
General
FatalOneManArmy

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Ammo is getting so expensive. I've heard many theories as to why, such as the war, but what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
https://gunsforum.forumotion.com
Big Red
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Plain and simple greed is the culprit if you ask me. With a war going on and lots of young vets returning home and purchasing firearms, it's time to crank up the prices. Supply and demand at it's finest. Demand is high and munitions companies control the supply of a good that is already hardcore regulated by the government.
Back to top Go down
FatalOneManArmy
General
General
FatalOneManArmy

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:29 pm

You might be right. If also bet all the regulations doesn't help it get any lower either.
Back to top Go down
Big Red
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:31 pm

That's why I reload.
Back to top Go down
FatalOneManArmy
General
General
FatalOneManArmy

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:34 pm

I've seen peopl who do it, but I've never learned myself. Are the savings worth the time and effort put in?
Back to top Go down
Big Red
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:39 pm

in the long run...yes. Just starting out doing it...no. It cost me about $600 for all the equipment needed to do it, but I got some nice equipment. On average I can reload a .223 for about $0.60 a round.
Back to top Go down
saladd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Big Red wrote:
in the long run...yes. Just starting out doing it...no. It cost me about $600 for all the equipment needed to do it, but I got some nice equipment. On average I can reload a .223 for about $0.60 a round.
Buying small, that's not bad, but when I buy bulk .223 rounds, I can get 1000 for $300. It would be worth it if you don't use a rediculous amount of rounds.
Back to top Go down
Big Red
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Except my loads are used for competition and those are set aside for that purpose. Now compare that $0.60 per round price vs a box of match rounds at around $35-40 a box with 25 rounds. Savings add up quick.

Last edited by Big Red on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FatalOneManArmy
General
General
FatalOneManArmy

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:48 pm

I was just about to say that some of those bulk rounds suck. On another note... That's pretty good big red.

Last edited by FatalOneManArmy on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Big Red
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Bulk rounds are great if you just want to hit the range or are just starting out with a caliber you haven't used before.
Back to top Go down
saladd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Oh. I had no idea it mattered. All I really do is take my AR to the range anyway. So I guess it's ok.
Back to top Go down
Big Red
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Sorry for the slow response. All hand loading really does over factory loads is remove the minor inconsistencies from round to round. Ever fire a round that seemed to kick a little harder than the others from the same clip or box? That is called a "hot" load and is caused by a little extra powder making it into the cartridge as it goes down the assembly line. Ever get a round that doesn't have the same power to it than the other ones you have? That is caused by the machine not dispensing enough powder into the cartridge. This may be a minor annoyance at the range, but for a competitive shooter at long range this can mean a difference of a few feet high or low at the target. Competitive rifle shooting is all about the math. By knowing for sure that each of my rounds will behave EXACTLY the same way every shot I can eliminate one variable from my equation.
Back to top Go down
FatalOneManArmy
General
General
FatalOneManArmy

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 5:47 pm

What an excellent way of describing the need for self loading a round. Makes sense.
Back to top Go down
saladd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm

I got it now. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ammo prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ammo prices   Ammo prices I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ammo prices
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Talk-
Jump to: